There is never a dull moment around here. Caden had his first trip to the ER at Phoenix Children's Hospital Aug. 25th. Long story short, I thought Caden had a seizure while I was feeding him a bottle. It was the scariest thing to see him shake and bob around. I took the bottle out of his mouth and got him to open his eyes. He started fussing for the bottle so I gave it back to him and thought that wasn't right. I tend to overreact and thought to myself it wasn't anything, while part of me wanted to go straight to the ER. So what is the next best thing to do? Call your mom of course! I didn't get a hold of her and didn't want to call Bryon at work cause I would scare him. So I was stuck over thinking it.
My mom finally called me back and decided I should call the doctor. I called the triage nurse and of course she recommended I go straight to ER. I started crying on the phone with her and what do you know Bryon finally calls me back. (I decided I better inform him of what was going on. Two tries calling him and a text message, he was able to call me back. They were serving a search warrant and his new phone didn't show I tried calling him.) When I answered, I was overwhelmed with fear and I was crying so hard I started the conversation with he is fine, I am just upset. We debated on what was the best thing to do. My aunt and the nurse both said if he had a seizure the ER would not be able to tell with any tests. He would have to have another episode for them to see if it was a seizure or something else. We decided after talking to another person that it's always better be safe and take him in.
Bryon came home from work and my mom met us at our house to watch Calvin while we took Caden in. Caden meanwhile was just as happy as can be. Not showing any distress or ill mood. After a few hours of being observed, the doctor was confident that Caden did not have a seizure! She believes that he had a tremor and that he could have more or never get them again. We were greatly relieved. The doctor said she is unsure why it happens and is is part of the brain maturing. They aren't dangerous just scary to see.
The past week Caden has had another tremor (a minor one compared to the first) and although everyone has said that they aren't dangerous, I have been questioning bringing him to a neurologist so I can ask questions I can't find the answers to. It is very hard to search on the internet, but all the posts from mothers sound the exact same, my child started to involuntarily shake while falling asleep eating. Every person said their child outgrew it and there aren't any side effects from the tremors. Our pediatrician referred to it as myoclonic jerks. After lots of searching on the internet and praying, Bryon and I decided that if Caden has another tremor we will go see a neurologist. It will probably be a waste of time and money but hopefully it will bring us some more answers.
Oh, I'll be praying for Caden and for you guys. So frightening! This parenting stuff is tough....but the Lord will give you the strength and wisdom you need.
ReplyDeleteThanks Kam for your up lifting words! Thankfully we haven't seen another episode from Caden. Praying it continues.
ReplyDelete