I think we had some rose colored glasses on when we thought of how our adoption journey would go. We get matched with a little girl and we live happily ever after (maybe not quiet like that but close).... We now know this journey will have some heartbreak involved.
We received a phone call early February of a possible match of a little girl. We got some basic information and decided we wanted to be considered for the match meeting. (match meeting- CPS gathers all possible families and narrows it down to 3 or 4 that would fit the needs of the child. Each family is presented by their agency and then a family is selected.) The meeting was held Feb. 14th, good 'ol Valentine's Day (my least favorite holiday) and we would know if we were selected that day. Our licensing worker called us and informed us they weren't able to make a decision between us and another family so they requested an additional 24 hours. All weekend long we prayed if this was the child for us. And to top it all off, Monday was a holiday so when Tuesday rolled around we were shocked that our family was picked!
Our phone call Tuesday also came with a little bit more information about the little girl. We were nervous but thought that was natural. We moved forward and was given our match meeting date in two weeks. As we waited we got a little bit more information. I joked that God was either giving us these bits of information at a time so we could digest it all or if He was saying hey you idiots I am trying to protect you. If we heard all of the information at once we probably would have decided not to move forward but we kept saying yes for some reason.
After our match meeting we got to see a picture of her and she was so cute! She had these chunky cheeks and oh so blonde hair. Her foster mother agreed I could call and ask her a few questions before we gave our final yes. And I am SO SO grateful for that opportunity. When talking with the foster mother, we learned we were dealing with two completely different girls than what CPS told us compared to the foster mother. We were able to ask a few questions to a child psychologist who was so helpful and helped make our final decision. In the end I never thought things would have changed so drastically in a weekend. Thursday afternoon we were 100% a yes after our match meeting and Sunday we were 100% sure this was not our daughter. It was heartbreaking to not more forward with this little girl. I don't know why things happened they way that they did but we did learn some important things we will use when getting another phone call. I pray the little girls finds the perfect home for her every need.
I know I am leaving out A LOT of details but Bryon and I have decided that we are not going to share everything because that is the child's story and not ours to share. We get to share with her the rest of her life and although her past is important it is not who she is. We know people are praying and rooting for us in this adventure of adoption. We want to share with you what we can.
Thank you to everyone for your support the last 2 weeks. We are blessed with amazing family and friends to get us through a rough time.
So hard to hear of your heartbreak, but grateful for God's guidance and wisdom and your trusting hearts. He is in control and is preparing you and your daughter for the perfect time to become a family! We'll be praying for you all!
ReplyDelete